T2 transversal MRI image (table 3 tesla) are used to contour the prostate. In a second step the regions of interest (ROI’s) that could be lesion or other suspicious regions must be marked.
To fuse MRI with TRUS in real – time the contour of the Prostate must be matched to shape of the prostate in live ultrasound. This should be done in both the transversal and sagitarial image planes.
To harvest transrectal biopsies simply match the biopsy guideline to be the respective ROI. After shooting off the needle the biopsy core can be marked and software automatically acquire a screenshot for documentation,
WHY FUSION MRI /TRUS FUSION?
- MRI is not an effective tool for guiding a biopsy needle in real-time, but MRI is a superior image modality for visualizing areas of interest (possible cancer)
- Ultrasound cannot always visualize area of interest (possible cancer), but it is a superior tool for guiding a biopsy needles in real-time.
Based upon these advantages and limitations of MRI and Ultrasound (DK Technology developed the Biojet 3-D MRI/US fusion biopsy. Biojet is a flexible, advanced navigation platform that enables an accurate detection of suspicious lesion by combining MRI and real-time Ultrasound. It is a safer and more effective alternative to a standard ultrasound guided prostate biopsy, which in fact, has several limitations. It can miss significant lesion but can detect less aggressive tumours by coincidence. This may lead to an underestimation of the patient’s clinical situation. No one wants a random diagnosis year after year.
The Biojet MRI guided fusion prostate biopsy instead; enables enhance detection and control of regions of interest and can reach MRI visible tumours with extremely high precision. This technology will dramatically change the way prostate cancer is managed and treated today.
ADVANTAGES FOR THE BIOJET SYSTEM
- Accurate, reliable diagnosis compared to standard TRUS Biopsy.
- Precision needle placement.
- Support both transrectal and transperineal biopsies.
- Compatible with most ultrasound systems.
- Extremely mobile (small footprint).
- Re-producible re-biopsies for active surveillance.
- Improve diagnostic accuracy (identified regions of interest).
- Enhance detection of suspicious lesions by combining MRI and ultrasound in real time.
- Easy workflow for Urologist and radiologist.
- No patient positioning, remains unchanged – select of high lithotomy and decubitus patients positioning.
- No additional cost for disposables.